Meeting Schedule for 2014
Meetings take place on a bi-monthly schedule
on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 10:00 a.m. (except for the November Annual Meeting)
in Conference Room 119 D at the Columbus Public Health building
*Visit the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens located at 1 777 E. Broad St. Columbus, OH 43203 between January 11–April 13, 2014 for a midwinter escape - a display of hundreds of orchids of all forms and colors in the warm Dorothy M. Davis Showhouse. Call 614-715-000 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Orchids Talks : Presentations on the wonders of the orchid species. Daily at 2 PM
* Meet historical personalities from the New Boston Fair, the George Rogers Clark Heritage Association and the Clark County Historical Society in the galleries of the Heritage Center during "A Night at the Museum" on Saturday, March 8, 2014. Reservations are required and tickets go on sale beginning February 18th. Adults -$12, Children 18 & under -$5, CCHS & GRCHA members and volunteers -$10. The museum is located at 117 South Fountain Avenue, Springfield, OH 45502. For more info call (937) 324-0657.
* Come to the National Road/Zane Grey Museum in Muskingum County near Norwich, OH on Sat. March 8, 2014 at 11:30AM – 1:00PM for a luncheon "Remarkable Women, Past, Present and Future" featuring the life and times of Dolly Grey, wife of Zane Grey. Please call for reservations (740) 826-3305.
*Attend a free Fireside History Chat at the Davidson Interpretive Center on March 11, 2014 from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM. Retired Wittenberg professor, Robert Morris, will present a talk concerning the varieties of flint/chert used by prehistoric Indians in Ohio to manufacture the various types of projectile points and knives typical of their specific culture. Displays of various artifacts will be available for viewing. The Davidson Interpretive Center is located in Clark County near George Rogers Clark Park at 5638 Lower Valley Pike, Springfield, OH 45502. For more info call (937) 882-6000.
* Enjoy live bluegrass music on the Historic National Road at Fairview, Ohio's Pennyroyal Opera House (Guernsey County) on Friday, March 14, 2014 from 7pm – 10pm. Take I-70 to Exit 198. The kitchen opens at 5 PM and show starts at 7 PM. Cost = $12, child under 12 is ½ price. For more info got to www.pennyroyaloperahouse.com or call 740-695-6291 or 740-310-4386. Featured artists: The Dale Ann Bradley Band/The Price Family.
* The Cambridge Lions Club presents its 41st Annual Lions Variety Show "Marvelous Motown" at the Scottish Rite Auditorium in downtown Cambridge (Guernsey County) on Thurs-Fri-Sat, March 27-29, 2014. The concerts include chorus numbers and solos featuring talented members of the local community. The Concert begins at 7:30 p.m. each night. Tickets are $8 Thursday and $10 Friday and Saturday. The auditorium is located at 941 Wheeling Ave. Cambridge, OH 43725. Funds raised by this show are used to help those in need with eye care and eye glasses as well as funding the Diabetic Support Group. For more info call 740-439-1543.
* The fourth Springfield Civil War Symposium will be held on Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the Clark County Heritage Center from 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM (lunch included). The events of 1864 will be traced, with emphasis on the eastern and western theaters of conflict including discussion of Sherman's Atlanta Campaign, March to the Sea, Grant's Overland Campaign, Hood's Tennessee Campaign and the Shenandoah Valley Campaign. Reservations required; deadline is April 4th. Tickets: Adult $50, CCHS member $40, and Students $20. The Heritage Center is located at 117 South Fountain Avenue Springfield, OH 45502. For more info call (937) 324-0657.
* Plan to attend the 2014 Ohio Scenic Byway Conference to be held on April 24th & 25th at the National Road/Zane Grey Museum located at 8850 East Pike, Norwich, OH 43767. ONRA will serve as host, and conferees representing many byways from all over the state will be there. On Thursday evening 4/24, there will be an opening reception and tour. Friday the 25th will be a day of learning about marketing possibilities and partnerships. This is a great way to learn about other byways and what they are doing to promote and preserve. Follow these links for more information or to register
* "Zane Grey Day" will be celebrated on Sun, April 27, 2014 from 12PM – 4PM at the National Road/Zane Grey Museum in Muskingum County near Norwich, OH. Admission by donation. Activities will include Vintage Baseball, ODNR's Passport to Fishing program, Dutch Oven Cooking, Lassoing and Ground Roping and musical entertainment. For more info call (740) 826-3305.
* Mark your calendar to participate in this year's "Historic National Road/US 40 Yard Sale Days" from May 28 - June 1, 2014. Don't miss Super Saturday on May 31st!
*Come for Opening Day at the John & Annie Glenn Historic Site on Thursday, May 1, 2014 from 10:00 AM– 4:00 PM. The Living History Presentation for this season is "1944 – Life on the Home Front during WWII.” The museum is located at 72 W. Main Street, New Concord, OH 43762 (Muskingum County). For more information go to www.johnglennhome.org or call 740-826-3305.
* Take a step back in time on August 30-31, 2014 by attending the "Fair at New Boston" held at George Rogers Clark Park in Clark County. The event is located at 936 South Tecumseh Road Springfield, OH 45506 and takes place rain or shine from 10 AM - 6 PM both days. For more info call (937) 882-9216 or go to email@example.com.
*The 9th biennial "Preserving the Historic Road" conference will be held in Savannah, GA on Sept. 26-28, 2014. Highlights include a tour of the Dixie Highway, a walking tour of Savannah's historic squares, and events at the Central of Georgia RR Historic Landmark District and the Tybee Island Lighthouse, with a traditional beachside Low Country Boil. For more information, go to www.historicroads.org